The state of play: the active role of states and state-owned entities in international arbitration
THE STATE OF PLAY: THE ACTIVE ROLE OF STATES AND STATE-OWNED ENTITIES IN INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION
4 NOVEMBER 2015
LOCATION: Radisson Blu Hotel (Yaroslaviv Val Str. 22)
Arzinger and Shearman & Sterling cordially invite you to attend "The State of Play: the Active Role of States and State-Owned Entities in International Arbitration". This conference is co-organised with the Ukrainian Arbitration Association, the ICDR Young & International and the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum and is hosted in association with the Ukrainian Bar Association.
The involvement of States and State-owned entities in arbitration raises a unique set of issues. This conference will evaluate whether States and State-owned entities are truly at an advantage against another party in international commercial arbitration and consider some recent developments and practices that claimants should take into account when seeking to enforce an arbitral award against a recalcitrant State. In addition, a roundtable discussion will examine whether and when there is greater scope for a constructive use of State-to-State proceedings under investment treaties.
Opening remarks by Mark McNeill of Shearman & Sterling and Markian Malskyy of Arzinger.
1:00–1:30 pm Registration
1:30–1:45 pm Opening Remarks
1:45–3:00 pm Panel 1 — Show Me the Money: Enforcing Arbitral Awards Against Respondent States
Moderator: Markian Malskyy, Partner, Arzinger
- Vitaly Morozov, Associate, Hughes Hubbard & Reed
- James Shaerf, Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Iegor Sierov, Legal Counsel, PJSC Ukrnafta
- Florian Haugeneder, Partner, Wolf Theiss
- Michael Redman, Director, Burford Capital
3:00–3:30 pm Coffee Break
3:30–4:45 pm Roundtable — State-to-State Proceedings Under Investment Treaties
Moderator: Jeremy Sharpe, Partner, Shearman & Sterling
- Prof Olexander Zadorozniy, Taras Schevchenko National University of Kyiv
- German Galushchenko, Managing Partner, International Law Agency
- Dr Michele Potestà, Associate at Lévy Kaufmann-Kohler
4:45–6:00 pm Panel 2 — Who Has the Upper Hand? International Commercial Arbitration Involving States and State-Owned Entities
Moderator: Mark McNeill, Partner, Shearman & Sterling
- Alina Leoveanu, Deputy Counsel, ICC International Court of Arbitration and Head of ICC YAF Europe and Russia Chapter
- Nicole Dolenz, Counsel, Jones Day
- Iryna Mudra, Head of Restructuring Division, PJSC Oschadbank
- Dr Tetyana Slipachuk, Partner, Sayenko Kharenko and President of the Ukrainian Arbitration Association
6:00–7:00 pm Cocktail Reception
>>> Register: http://shrmn.co/IAStateofPlay <<<
For more information, please, contact: PR@arzinger.ua or +38 044 390 55 33.